Tuesday 16 August 2011

It’s the M-A-D-O-NN-A!


“It’s the M-A-D-O-NN-A!” For my first female pop diva I’m gonna tackle my favourite and the most influential. So basically Madonna’s career started in 1982 with her single “Everybody” which reached #3 on the US Dance chart. Since then her career has evolved and reached heights only the diva herself would’ve imagined. Now it’s hard for me to pick her top 5 singles of all time because she has such a diverse and powerful catalogue but I think I should be able to pick a decent 5 that represent her music well for the casual listener.

5.  Like A Virgin (1984)
Like A Virgin was Madonna’s first US #1 back in 1984. The song has become a staple for karaoke and an iconic song for both Madonna and the 1980’s. The lyrical context (along with the controversial VMA performance) was Madonna’s second (after her 1983 single Burning Up) song to show off Madonna’s powerful sexual prowess. 



4.  Frozen (1998)
The haunting sound of this track off her 1998 album Ray Of Light truly surprised audiences after seeing Madonna star as Eva Peron in Evita in 1996, few expected her to return as a gothic character in a desert singing a heart-filled song about a distant lover. My reason for choosing this track is that it shows off Madonna’s vocals and a rarely seen side of her.



3.  American Life (2003)
To start off with I have to say I love Mirwais Ahmadzaï work with Madonna and despite the hate the American Life (song and album) get, I firmly believe this era of her career is one of her best and most revealing.  The sharp tone of her voice with the chopping between electronic beats to folk guitars is one of Madonna’s most experimental tracks and it’s easy to say there isn’t much else out there like this number.



2. Erotica (1992)
“Give it up do as I say!” we are told as this, her most provocative track reaches its chorus. Erotica could be said to be the follow up to Madonna’s 1990 hit “Justify My Love”.  The song is creepy, sexual and even a tad deviant to say the least. 



1.       Like A Prayer (1989)
Choral music, rock guitars and Madonna singing make for one hell of pop tune. When deciding what track to choose for Madonna’s best track there was no hesitation as to which track would take the top spot.  The track shows off everything about Madonna from her versatile voice to her abilities as a song writer. 

 Check back next week for another blog post on a different Diva!

2 comments:

  1. ooo I so love the idea you've made for this blog! I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for that :) glad you are enjoying much blog :D

    ReplyDelete